Early on (in January) when Kari and I were beginning to plan
what to do over the 11-day break, we were conferring with a Chinese friend
about some plausible travel options to do all together. In working on the
scheduling of travel, our friend said she had to be back to her hometown before
April 4, reasoning, "I need to get home to sweep!" At first we
thought she had typoed in her email message, mis-communicating. I thought maybe
she meant "sleep"? Then we questioned why cleaning was so important
that it called for the urgency of being home before April 4, which would cut
possible travels short. Couldn't she wait to sweep until later? It turns out
she really meant TOMB SWEEPING, which is a very traditional and important
Chinese cultural custom.
The Qingming Festival (清明节), also translated as the "Pure Brightness Festival" or
"Clear Bright Festival" is popularly celebrated in China as Ancestors
Day or Tomb Sweeping Day. It is celebrated on the 104th day
after the winter solstice (or the 15th day from the Spring Equinox,
or the first day of the fifth solar term...). Anyway, it's usually around
April 5 on the Gregorian calendar. Citing Wikipedia, "its name denotes a
time for people to go outside and enjoy the greenery of springtime."
People tend to the graves of departed ones, sweeping, painting, and
planting new shrubbery and decorations around family plots.
So, most Chinese businesses honored the holiday on Thursday,
April 4, and some on Friday the 5th as well. This is mostly the reason why our
Spring Break is set to be during this week. Our school, AIAN, additionally
tacked on the Thursday and Friday of last week (March 28-29), making for a
short school week and a long first weekend of the break (which was nice,
because it afforded many teachers the long weekend to attend a Professional
Development conference in Shanghai).
Kari went to Xi'an with our Chinese friend, Fan, and I
settled in to nap and play with Jett, workout, explore more of Beilun via bike
(with the pupperz trotting along side), file paperwork and get some medical
issues sorted out, as well as get some planning done for the end of June when
Dad is coming to visit!!! Yes, I spent much time searching for good flight
itineraries and booking tours and working on the details of planning Dad's
visit, slated for June 21-July 2. We'll be visiting some Chinese historic and
must-see sights, and then he'll be assisting in my 8th international move. I'm super
stoked not to have to do the international travels alone, again, and to be able to
share this culture with him, as China is very different from any other country
I have lived/traveled in.
Well, that's the news for now. One day left of break after
today. Out into the wind and firecracker smoke (no, strong winds are not a
deterrent for Chinese celebrations).
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave comments! I love to hear from those who are reading my blog!