Translate

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday

(composed on Flashback Friday...)

Yesterday I had a few experiences that jogged some memories of the good ole days...

  1. As I was subbing for elementary grades this week, I remembered all those things about elementary school, and how much I miss teaching the younger ones... or rather, how much I really dislike teaching adolescents, by comparison. I led one class in playing the game "Heads Up, Seven Up," which is an absolute throwback to my own elementary school years. They loved it.
    • Side note #1: I was subbing for 3rd and 4th grades at various times Tuesday-Thursday this week, during all my planning periods; because we have no substitute system in place, teachers within the school have to compromise their planning time to cover for other teachers. It's ridiculous, I'm well aware.
    • Side note #1: the teachers were absent because their families to move during the middle of the week, in all the commotion of that ridiculous housing situation that our school board absolutely cannot get their act together for! That's a whole other issue I don't want to delve into right now though.
  2. Tetherball: Also a throwback to elementary school. While supervising recesses this week, duty around the foursquare and tetherball courts brought some awesome memories. We learned the rules to tetherball inside and out, and had playground tourneys for years. At home at the old Riverview Drive house, Dad even cemented in a pole and tethered up a ball for us. Our "new puppy dog" at the time, Midas, even learned how to "play," nipping at the ball when we served it into that side of the round court.
  3. Thursday evening's dance aerobics class brought the sounds of my elementary years in the late 1990s flooding back to me. As fifth graders, my friends as I would sing the lyrics to "Wannabe" countless times, not even thoroughly understanding the depth of their meaning at that point in our lives, of course. I still know all those words by heart. I even sang along as we did some awesome cardio moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! I love to hear from those who are reading my blog!