Having dogs as pets in China is kind of a new thing. It wasn't too long ago that the Chinese were exclusively eating dogs. Now, having dogs as pets is a crossover experience, and usually restricted to owning toy, or what I like to call "rat-sized" dogs, smaller than the typical house cat... Which is also not a super common thing in China.
So when people see Jett, a medium-to-large sized dog by Chinese standards (he's only about 14-15 kilos... around 30 pounds), they usually react in a pretty surprised, almost wary or even disgusted manner... that we would have the nerve to have a dog of that size. As a pet. Inside. Going up elevators. It rather catches them off guard.
Today I had an encounter when I was getting into the elevator. I was coming back from a walk with Jett. The elevator doors opened and there was already a family inside. The little girl gasped and jumped back against the elevator wall when she saw Jett. I hesitantly stepped into the elevator with Jett, as well as with another older gentleman. I tugged on Jett's leash, giving him the non-verbal command of "sit," in which the arm bends and motions upwards, in sort of a curling type of motion (imagine doing reps with a dumbbell). At the same time, the little girl got over her surprise at the shock of seeing us when the elevator doors opened, and exercised some basic English skills by saying, "sit," as her father reiterated the command in Chinese, "zuo." Jett, obedient to my nonverbal command, immediately sat! They were floored, thinking he'd responded to them.
The little girl, still happily practicing her English commands, then said, "stand up." In the crowded elevator, as it lurched to a stop on the 8th floor, Jett felt the need to readjust, so, as if perfectly understanding, he stood up and turned around. We had arrived at the floor where the family needed to get off. Jett and I moved to the rear of the elevator, to allow them passage out.
Then it was just us and the older gentleman in the elevator. As if to further test Jett's obedience and intelligence, the gentleman said, with all seriousness, "zuo?" Jet looked up at me, as if to ask permission, and then actually sat! Why yes, I have a smart, bilingual dog! Be in awe of our puppy, China!
So when people see Jett, a medium-to-large sized dog by Chinese standards (he's only about 14-15 kilos... around 30 pounds), they usually react in a pretty surprised, almost wary or even disgusted manner... that we would have the nerve to have a dog of that size. As a pet. Inside. Going up elevators. It rather catches them off guard.
Today I had an encounter when I was getting into the elevator. I was coming back from a walk with Jett. The elevator doors opened and there was already a family inside. The little girl gasped and jumped back against the elevator wall when she saw Jett. I hesitantly stepped into the elevator with Jett, as well as with another older gentleman. I tugged on Jett's leash, giving him the non-verbal command of "sit," in which the arm bends and motions upwards, in sort of a curling type of motion (imagine doing reps with a dumbbell). At the same time, the little girl got over her surprise at the shock of seeing us when the elevator doors opened, and exercised some basic English skills by saying, "sit," as her father reiterated the command in Chinese, "zuo." Jett, obedient to my nonverbal command, immediately sat! They were floored, thinking he'd responded to them.
The little girl, still happily practicing her English commands, then said, "stand up." In the crowded elevator, as it lurched to a stop on the 8th floor, Jett felt the need to readjust, so, as if perfectly understanding, he stood up and turned around. We had arrived at the floor where the family needed to get off. Jett and I moved to the rear of the elevator, to allow them passage out.
Then it was just us and the older gentleman in the elevator. As if to further test Jett's obedience and intelligence, the gentleman said, with all seriousness, "zuo?" Jet looked up at me, as if to ask permission, and then actually sat! Why yes, I have a smart, bilingual dog! Be in awe of our puppy, China!
![]() |
| Super-Jett! (Yeah, our dog's wearing a shirt. It's cold in China. He's an indoor dog.) |

Nice with the commands. And SO glad you have this great puppy. This picture here is soooooo cute. I just bought Hermie a sweater, too!
ReplyDeleteSusi
Wonderful story! Good job teaching the nonverbal commands. Those really pay off when the dogs get old! (or another language) Great way to fool the unknowing!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Moo-Ma!
ReplyDeleteAnd Susi, post the pic of Hermie wearing his new sweater on my timeline, would ya?
I just did. But, as I sit here, I think you've seen it already... oh well.
ReplyDeleteLovely! Just saw it! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting!