On January 2nd, Anthony had to go back to work, at a pre-K/kinder/after-school academy where he teaches English. I came to school with him and observed classes, jumping in and helping where I could be of assistance: reading lessons, comprehension Q&As, workbooks, impromptu dance and singing, etc. It was relaxed and fun. I also got to meet some of Anthony's colleagues and Korean co-teachers.
Thursday was also the day Anthony's roommates came home from their holiday vacay in the Philippines, so I got to meet Jason and Eugene. Eugene teaches at LCI with Anthony, and Jason is a chef with his own little independent baked-goods operation (he also teaches English on the side a couple nights a week). They are wonderful guys. I wish they had been around more during my time in Korea.
In the evening on Thursday, Anthony and I went downtown to have some great soups at a favorite little restaurant of his. I had a very filling pumpkin soup, and he had something spicy. I think with meat too. And we had little side dishes as well, as is Korean custom.
Then we wandered around the main downtown shopping avenues, popping into stores here and there and window shopping. It was so cold outside (and windy). So we went straight to the bookstore/coffee shop that some friends of his run. To my surprise, the Korean owner knew a lot about coffee! (It wasn't just one of those typical coffee shops where the baristas only know how to use the machines and make sugared-up beverages.) And she was interested in talking to me about my experiences learning about coffee when I lived in Central America.
Anthony and I hung out, sipping on hot teas and coffees and snacking while playing board games, and he socialized with friends who filtered into the café. We stayed until Anthony finished hosting his "Pohangraphy" photography club with other foreigners who reside in Pohang.
Friday, I spent the morning packing, and then went to Anthony's school to get lunch and say goodbye to everyone. By just after 1pm, I was on a city bus to the Pohang bus terminal, where I caught a bus to the airport for my 6:30 flight out of Korea. If only I knew what lay ahead of me upon my return to China, landing in Shanghai...
I am going to have to compose an entirely separate blog post to tell the incredible tales of my 26-hour journey home from Korea (22 hours of the trip were spent solely trying to get back home from Shanghai, which is normally a 4-5 hour trip). This post is soon to come.
Look through the album of photos from my Korea trip. Follow this link.
(also see link on the photo menu to the right)
Thursday was also the day Anthony's roommates came home from their holiday vacay in the Philippines, so I got to meet Jason and Eugene. Eugene teaches at LCI with Anthony, and Jason is a chef with his own little independent baked-goods operation (he also teaches English on the side a couple nights a week). They are wonderful guys. I wish they had been around more during my time in Korea.
In the evening on Thursday, Anthony and I went downtown to have some great soups at a favorite little restaurant of his. I had a very filling pumpkin soup, and he had something spicy. I think with meat too. And we had little side dishes as well, as is Korean custom.
Then we wandered around the main downtown shopping avenues, popping into stores here and there and window shopping. It was so cold outside (and windy). So we went straight to the bookstore/coffee shop that some friends of his run. To my surprise, the Korean owner knew a lot about coffee! (It wasn't just one of those typical coffee shops where the baristas only know how to use the machines and make sugared-up beverages.) And she was interested in talking to me about my experiences learning about coffee when I lived in Central America.
Anthony and I hung out, sipping on hot teas and coffees and snacking while playing board games, and he socialized with friends who filtered into the café. We stayed until Anthony finished hosting his "Pohangraphy" photography club with other foreigners who reside in Pohang.
Friday, I spent the morning packing, and then went to Anthony's school to get lunch and say goodbye to everyone. By just after 1pm, I was on a city bus to the Pohang bus terminal, where I caught a bus to the airport for my 6:30 flight out of Korea. If only I knew what lay ahead of me upon my return to China, landing in Shanghai...
![]() |
| Back to Shanghai... Sad to leave Korea. |
| View of the sunset from the airport |
Look through the album of photos from my Korea trip. Follow this link.
(also see link on the photo menu to the right)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave comments! I love to hear from those who are reading my blog!