Translate

Friday, October 19, 2012

School Highlights

Some stories...

  • While playing Simon Says with my 10th and 7th graders (convincing them that this could actually be a fun game, if they would just loosen up and use their creativity was pretty difficult), one of my ELLs (a.k.a. "elves") commanded in the imperative mood, "Simon says, turn on (and off) the light switches." Whereupon all 8 students in the class took turns running back and forth flipping the switches on and off. Giggling. That was the first time I had the classroom lights turned on; it's been so sunny that there hasn't been a need for artificial, electric light! The next one was, "Simon says, throw your pencil." Pencils flew all over the room. We narrowly escaped poked eyes. Well, at least they weren't just repeating commands like, "Simon says, stand up," "Push in your chair," and, "Pick up your pencil pouch." 
  • Also while practicing imperative commands, one exercise had my students write commands that I might say to them. I had each one of them stand in front of the class and pretend to be me. They enjoyed bossing me around this time with commands like... "Go get your journal." "Write your entry." "Pull out your homework." "Students, put your pencils down." "Complete this worksheet for homework."
  • Right before conducting a listening exercise with various pop songs, I had students exercise their writing skills with a journal prompt that directed them to share what their fave song is, who the artist is, and to detail a bit of the lyrics (identifying the all verbs in the song, and what tense those verbs were in). Many of my students, Korean or not, wrote about the (infamous?) Gangnam Style. I made them research the lyrics and we talked about what parody is and the power of social media. Yeah, taking all the fun out of a pop thrill (seriously, it's played regularly at bars and clubs, and people break down those moves on the dance floor!). 
  • But my favorite entry was by a Korean ELL who barely understands or performs in English. As soon as we clarified the writing prompt, he began singing (in comprehensible English) "Baby, baby, baby, oh... Like baby, baby, baby, NO!" (Emily Golan, this one is for you.) He even knew the lyrics to the verses. Bieber Fever is still alive... even in the hearts of 12-year-old Korean boys!

I thought all kids wanted pets?! This is just one of the three entertaining answers
I received from my "Elves" on a recent homework assignment.
Do not be fooled, this creation is with the help of the young elf’s dictionary-translator. 
(I think it makes their vocab sound more sophisticated.) Using the resources he has available. Attaboy!
Other than those teaching highlights, I've been attending staff and committee meetings, grading, writing first quarter narratives, creating and modifying lesson plans, and getting creative with my strategies of differentiation to try to make connections and educate my Elves. Also, after school, I have been participating in a dance aerobics fitness class and Tai Ch'i, with other faculty members and other people from the international community. 

The next post will be about stuff that's outside of school. There are some videos that'll be entertaining to share.

2 comments:

  1. I thought of you on thursday when our ELL para played Bingo with a couple of kindergartners. It got me thinking about variations of the game that you could do. If they're good with math, but need practice with saying numbers, you could create a number grid with answers to math problems, colors, body parts, etc. How are they with close proximity? You could play Twister with the students calling out the body parts and colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. I lesson plan in units, but I always try to incorporate games and non-worksheet or writing activities. I work on grammar and language arts themes. Not really numbers. They're already good with those.

      And I can't even get them to stand up and play charades full out, so I'm pretty sure Twister would freak them out.

      Delete

Please leave comments! I love to hear from those who are reading my blog!