Translate

Thursday, November 29, 2012

PTCs

Parent. Teacher. Conferences. (PTCs)

I never blogged about the first round of PTCs we had in early November, after the end of first quarter. It was really busy at that point in time. Clara was still here visiting at that time, the conferences were held at night--which meant for long days, and I was pretty exhausted from all that had been going on at that time. However, I think many of my readers who are teachers would be interested in this topic. 

Parents of four of my 13 students showed up. And of course, the students whose parents I wanted to meet with the most didn't show up--those would be the ones who have the disciplinary issues, learning problems, bad study skills, or attitude roadblocks. I met with the parents of some of my most stellar, driven, and dedicated students. It's frustrating because the ELL students are the ones that need the PTCs the most at international school (well, probably at any school with an English-based curriculum!). If not for meeting ELL standards and succeeding in their acquisition of the English language, then these students are likely not to excel in all the other core subjects at school--social studies, science, electives, and even math. Without English, students are lost in mainstream classes. What good does that do them when applying to universities?  

Ahhhh, the grumblings of a teacher. To you experienced, wizened old teacher fogies (yes, that includes you, Dad), I know you are thinking, "par for the course, young grasshopper." OK, maybe not in those precise words, but I realize that I am young, fresh, and naive in your eyes. But don't squash my optimism and idealistic hopes for altruism within the educational context. 

In speaking with the parents I did meet with, new ideas were spurred and the creative wheels and cogs started turning to get new projects, assignments, and practices in place for the betterment of my students and their English education. I did get to meet with the mother of my lowest-level Elf, which was encouraging. 

Parents of ELL students who are in my class are almost always ELLs themselves, if not non-English speakers. Usually they come into PTCs with a translator--be he/she one of our TAs, a private tutor/friend, their spouse or another trusted friend or family member, or, yes, even their own children. You can imagine the problems that situation presents. How do you have a PTC with the student present? Or with a brother or sister interpreting the meeting? How do you trust the accuracy of the Elf's translation, for one--because he/she is an ELL and wouldn't be in my class if it weren't for a lack of communicational skills in the English language. And for another, what's to say that the kid isn't purposefully interpreting incorrectly, or omitting content?

To end on a brighter note, how often, other than at an international school in Asia, do you get complimented and repeatedly told at the end of every PTC that you are "very beautiful," "gorgeous," and have "the most lovely hair."?? Oh, do go on. Tell me more about myself as you walk out the door. I love it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! I love to hear from those who are reading my blog!