Translate

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Chinese October Holidays


We're on break from school, starting today (Saturday, September 29) until Monday, October 9. It was a bit confusing for me to understand the history and politics behind the observance of these holidays, but I think I have this year's holiday calendar figured out, thanks to talking to many locals and expats who have experienced the holidays in China, as well as good old Wikipedia. 

This week, we are celebrating two annual holidays, which are combined to comprise one week of vacation time, one of the two Golden Week holidays China now celebrates. (There is much controversy regarding the Golden Week holidays in China. I'll let you research that if you'd like. Which you probably won't. So I'm not going into it here and now.) The following explanations of the holidays are comprised of info spliced together from Wikipedia info. Follow the links if you please.

The Mid-Autumn Festival (which can be celebrated any time from September-October, depending on the given year and the lunar calendar), is celebrated Sunday, September 30. This is like an autumn/harvest festival.  It is a time for family members and loved ones to congregate and enjoy the full moon - an auspicious symbol of abundance, harmony and luck. 

The National Day of the People's Republic of China (simplified Chinese characters: 国庆节; pinyin: guóqìng jié) is observed every year on October 1. It is a public holiday in the People's Republic of China to celebrate their national day. The PRC was founded on October 1, 1949 with a ceremony at Tiananmen Square. The National Day is celebrated throughout mainland ChinaHong Kong, and Macau with a variety of government-organized festivities, including fireworks and concerts. Public places, such as Tiananmen Square in Beijing, are decorated in a festive theme. Portraits of revered leaders, such as Mao Zedong, are publicly displayed. 

Celebration day
English name
Chinese name
Dates (2012)
15th day of 8th lunar month
中秋节
Sun September 30
October 1
国庆节
Mon 1–3 October

This is a time of year that a lot of people try to leave China, avoiding a week of fireworks and noise. Besides, many stores and restaurants are closed. While my flatmate Kari, as well as other teachers and international families, have left China to travel elsewhere for the week, I cannot. The status of my work visa only allows me one entry into China, therefore I cannot leave until my more permanent work visa is processed (takes about a month). This will then allow me to exit and enter China as many times as I want, as a temporary resident on a year-long work visa. 

My bites into the Moon Cake.
So I get to explore my surroundings, get set up in my new apartment, and observe the culture. I'm okay 
with that. I'm recuperating from being sick. I want to ready my classroom and really prepare. Coming to terms with not being able to travel this week due to my visa status was a bit frustrating, but really for the best and all the wiser for me to stay here and settle into my new home. 

So, I’ll [continue considering to] eat my Moon Cake (seriously, check that link out. I did after I ate my first couple of bites, and then decided NOT to continue eating it, for obvious reasons in the description). I will also be blogging far more than you probably want to read/see from Cup o' Joe or school, since we will have no internet in our apartment until after the holiday week. At least it gets me out and about! Yay.