Translate

Thursday, September 27, 2012

So much has been set up!

Apartment 1203: Kari & Lara's place!
As if just getting here was not enough of an ordeal and undertaking--37 hours, delays, troubleshooting, more delays, confusion, complications, and hauling SO MUCH LUGGAGE)--now that I'm two days in, so much more has been accomplished (some things, especially dealing with technological issues, I feel especially proud and accomplished in having set up!):
  1. I'm all moved into my new apartment with my (former (2008-2009), and now again current) roommate, Kari! 
    • I completely unpacked within 2 hours of arriving in Beilun. Now I just need to purchase some additional stuff to make things more convenient, as well as decorate... but that won't happen until next week probably.
    • Power adapters/converters and extensions/power strips/additional plug ins have been figured out and properly adapted to for all electronic/electrical needs. 
    • Our apartment building. We live on floor 12.
    • We even made brownies to warm our [already 77ºF] flat (that's another story... dealing with fermented eggs... so stinkin' gross... literally!)
  2. School business:
    • reimbursements requested (for travel expenses, visa costs, etc.)
    • mailbox set up
    • fingerprint ID clock-in electronic time card thingymabobber programmed
    • lunch card purchased (as a back up for when I can't pack a lunch)
    • my new classroom is in the process of being remodeled (more detail to come on this exciting development!)
    • ELL departmental meeting with my ELL team coordinator and fellow teacher-colleagues
    • AAAAND, I attended my first AIAN faculty meeting and was introduced and very warmly welcomed by the staff members yesterday afternoon!
    • New Chinese SIM card!
    • Chinese bank account set up
    • Chinese cell phone plans figured out and activated
    • VPN on computer and iPhone purchased and activated (thanks to help and recommendations from Kari and other AIAN staff friends)
    • First shopping trip experience, purchases successfully made!
    • Eating "real" Chinese food out! (and then subsequently getting a massive headache from the massive amounts of MSG in the noodle dish!)
    • Chinese medical exam: I have been 
      Health inspection paperwork.
      sufficiently poked, prodded, and tested enough in the last month back Stateside, but I had to go through the routine all over again for my entrance exam here in China (it's part of them granting me a more permanent resident work visa): EKG, ultrasound, X-Ray (chest), eye, ears, nose, and throat exam, blood draw, urine sample... basically an assembly line of doctors and tests.
    I am sure there is more that's been accomplished, and more anecdotal comments will be forthcoming. But alas, last night, I awoke before dawn, sweating and chilled, my throat screaming hot fire, and congestion. Now, I am in the throws of cold kingdom. Thanks, 37-hours of flight, limited sleep/food, and new climate to adjust to.

    Prayers appreciated!


    It's warm and humid.